Newbold-White House is a Colonial Quaker homestead dating to 1730. The oldest house in the state open to the public, it has been authentically restored and includes period furnishings. Needless to say, it's included on the Natoinal Register of Historic Places. The home tells the story of Abraham and Judith Sanders and family, Quakers who acquired the property alongside the Perquimans River in 1726. Sanders' riverside plantation produced corn, cotton, wheat, flax, indigo, tobacco and rice in addition to wood products for barrels and shingles. Guests can tour the house as well as the grounds, including the 1730 Vineyard, Colonial Garden and a 1-mile recreation trail past historic buildings, the river and a cypress swamp. Also on site is a periauger, a 1700s shallow-draft workboat that was used in the sounds and rivers of eastern North Carolina. The Newbold-White House has a visitors center and gift shop filled with books, gifts and locally made crafts. Group tours can be arranged, and the historic site is available for rental for special events.